About this Cocktail
Referenced throughout the show (Game of Thrones) as an old timey version of Morphine or Heroine that was administered to people on their deathbed to "ease the pain".
This elixer starts as a house made egg nog or "Rompope" a Mexican version of the holiday treat. We take this and add in Hine cognac and Geier Glog (cinnamon mulled wine) bottled for service this can last in he fridge up to a month.
3 oz egg nog or Rompope
1 oz H by Hine Cognac
.5 oz Glog
Grated nutmeg garnish
Recipe for Rompope:
2/3 cup blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
6 cups whole milk
2 cinnamon sticks
Rind of 1 lemon*
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
8 large egg yolks
*Remove the lemon rind with a vegetable peeler, being careful to avoid the white pith, which will impart a bitter flavor.
1. Pulse almonds with 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a food processor until ground to a fine paste.
2. Bring milk, cinnamon, lemon rind, vanilla, and baking soda to a boil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottom saucepan.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks, the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, and ground almonds until thick and pale.
5. Remove cinnamon and lemon rind
6. Combine all ingredients in blender and pulse to fully incorporate.
7. Return mixture to pan and cook over low heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
8. Set aside to cool completely, about 2 hours.
9. Once cooled I add booze (1 part cognac and .5 part Glog for every three parts Nog.
10. Run through sieve to remove excess almond pulp. ( optional I like it on the lighter side )